Wednesday, November 30, 2005

RIAA is trying to take my music away.


Few things irritate me more than censorship. I have a lot of things that I would like to say about this, but I will keep it to news and not rant until my face turns purple. Either way, this type of thing disgusts me. The story goes like this, mashup albums are made, and the record labels of the "mashed" albums sue the people who did the mashup, when they are not even trying to profit from the product. I blogged about the Dean Gray album a few weeks ago, well Warner (the green day label) has issued a cease and desist for the free distribution of the American Edit album. Here are what some other people have said that I completely agree with. And in the link you can see how to fight back.

fighting mashups has nothing to do with reducing "piracy." No one who listens to American Edit will shrug her shoulders and say, "Well, heck, now that I've heard that, who needs to buy the Green Day album?" Censoring this art is tantamount to saying, "This music must go because it displeases us."

[Their] answer to the Grey Album is patronage. "You must not make this art unless we permit it." If you work for one of a few big record companies, you can use their legal apparatus to clear the material you want to use in a mashup. Otherwise, your art is illegal and will be censored.

I think patronage is wrong -- I agree with the maximalists here. Let's end it. Let's share these mashups, make samples without permission, and continue to produce art without permission from the latter-day aristocracy of creativity. - Cory Doctorow

[Link]

No comments: