Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Blizzard Movie in the works?


I genuinely cant tell if this is wonderful news or terrifying. I presume the first simply based on who we are dealing with. Blizzard, the beloved champions of intellectual property are apparently looking toward making a full length feature film from each of their universes: Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo. I am confident in this notion because the worlds themselves are very strong and blizzard can do some amazing work, just look at the opening cinematic for World of Warcraft, it is pee your pants beautiful. There are some very important lessons that they need to learn from others.

#1. I pray that the movies dont end up live action, I dont think I could handle seeing a man dressed up as a cow swinging around a log. Call me crazy.
#2. Blizzard should call the production folks at square to ask them how not to write a script that has essentially nothing to do with their beautiful world. I do not look forward to seeing World of Warcraft: Extreme gun carrying, hallway walking and lazer haeads. These are the pitfalls that need to be avoided.

I hope blizzard develops it "in house", and doesnt outsource it to... lets say Uwe Boll... or any other hollywood director. Hollywood is not videogames and videogames are not hollywood. They both need to be treated gently and coddled when they cross over, like walking a burning infant through a wax museum, carefully.


[Link]

No comments: